Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Other quiet places to sit

Yesterday afternoon I went to take photographs in Kastanjeplein near Oosterpark, as I liked the bronze abstract sculptures under the trees. They look like giant split open conker shells. It was really nice to see people sitting on benches under the chestnut trees in the dappled shade.


On my way home through Oosterpark I also saw around forty granite benches arranged in a semi-circle around the old bandstand. They reminded me of a ring of standing stones. No one was sitting there, however. I think I would feel self-conscious reading a book here as this area is like a performance space. This is the sort of place where I imagine an imaginative communal book reading event could take place. Would everyone read the same book, I wondered..?

2 comments:

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Hello Siobhan, congratulations and welcome to blog-land. I love the idea of focusing on quiet places, in the midst of our noisy and chaotic world. I look forward to seeing more of your discoveries.

alice huggins said...

I like more secluded benches too. There is a lovely spot to sit in the park around the corner from the jewellery school its under trees and looks down the hill onto st pauls church. Its a relief to go to at lunch time when the weather is hot because our workshops get so warm (and the heating is kept on all summer)